I’ve been around dogs almost my whole life. I love them. If you want one and can properly train and care for it - you should get a dog. This is even more true if you have a business, for the following reasons:
1. A dog can crush your pride. They don’t care about your client list, your social media following or your revenues. They’ll still not sit when you tell them to. They’ll still impolitely lick your face. They'll still do other embarrassing things in front of house guests.
2. A dog will love you when no one else does. A dog may keep you from bottoming out when times get rough. When I was fired from my first post undergrad job, we got Macie. I had to house train her, feed her and care for her. Through that, I had tangible responsibility and purpose - even if it was just to a little puppy. If you have no clients, your dog will still snuggle with you. Dogs provide ego balance - they will not puff you up nor deflate you.
3. A dog will help you balance your life more. There is more to your life than your business. You have relationships. You need rest. But we don’t always make those an intentional priority. If you have a dog, you have to orient your life so that you can feed them and care for them. They can be a sweet reminder that there is more to life than making money.
4. A dog will likely teach you important life lessons - like about paying attention.
5. A dog provides an outlet for fun. All dogs I’ve known like to play in some form. Their fun-loving, innocent nature can be heart-warming and relaxing after a tiring day.
If you can properly care for a dog and desire one (and that’s a major if), they can provide huge personal value. If you’re on the fence and you know you can do it - go for it. I’ve never regretted it.
For more on the case for dogs:
8 Reasons Owning a Dog is Good for You by John Homans
9 Science-Backed Reasons to Own a Dog by Jessica Orwig